StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I put on for my city...

Default Match Race: White Civic vs E30 325i

Tumbleweed flies down the dark hill, blowing past the kinds of cars only enthusiasts would be able to recognize as it finds its way onto asphalt. The thunder of a late night take off from a 737 - not even 500 feet off the ground- echoes against the earth. Then quietness. And darkness. Just the silhouette of mountains against a dark, starry Caribbean night sky. Welcome back to the St Croix Race Track. After Hours. There's no advanced timing or lighting system tonight. In fact there's no light at all- except for two or three street lights that intermittently turn on and off. This isn't CDRA sanctioned.

You see it's Tuesday June 17, 2008. The time? 9:30pm. That sound? The newcomer. A BMW E30 Generation 325i. And it's revving it's German straight six engine in preparation for the island's biggest match race in weeks. It's come for the White Civic out of the One Eyed Bandits crew.

Out here, anyone can challenge anyone else. Just make sure you're packing.

Welcome to the wild wild west.

Rewind an hour.

The White Civic that defeated the SRT8 is back. Now in full race trim. The interior's gutted. The glass is gone- in it's place, synthetic super thin and super light plexiglass. Save the driver's seat, which is now lightened, all the other seats are gone. As are a number of other street tune components such as air conditioning. The car's evolved from it's last outing. The only thing that appears to be left are four wheels and a big engine. It's race prepped now. It's crew pushes and pulls it, directing it to position as if it were an aircraft on the tarmac.

They work quickly and quietly, the whole group scurrying around fitting the tires, checking pressures, fluids, and a myriad of other things. The crew chief looks everything over. The premiere product of the One Eyed Bandits lab sits fresh and clean as it's crew puts on the finishing touches readying it for competition. Supervising the work and checking his equipment over the driver prepares to do battle.

It's a stark contrast with the crew behind the newcomer.

The challenger, Fresh Racing's 325i BMW sits deep in the staging area, just shy of the staging points, in real darkness. Walking up on the scene, nothing about it even suggests which car is about to race. Except that the 325i is sitting in the middle of the right lane. But the people sitting around it, the car's backers, aren't even giving it- or anything else for that matter- much attention.

Back in the Honda camp, sharp laughter breaks the tension in the air. It's an odd arrangement. The Civic's proven itself. It's dismantled a modified SRT8 - out the hole and in the open. Yet this BMW that few had seen before is stepping up to challenge it...? It's odd, to say the least. BMW 3 series in that generation only run up to about 160 and change horsepower via naturally aspirated, RWD oriented, straight sixes.

The BMW isn't even wearing slicks. It's sitting on soft compound drag radial tires mounted at rear.

That raises some eye brows. Maybe it's packing a lot more power than people think, there are wispers about it, but no one seems to know anything for sure. Except that Fresh Racing camp is quite confident...

No one's sure who will win. The One Eyed Bandits have definitely browsed the Honda Japan catalog, but for this E30 to be here, it would seem very likely that Fresh Racing's browsed the ///M Catalog as well. And although drag racing isn't exactly what BMW's M division is about, racing is racing, and in that domain the letter M commands absolute respect...

As the Civic's crew finishes pre-race checks, the car is driven to the staging area. Both cars are searched extensively for nitrous.

The BMW is checked under the hood and through the interior.

It doesn't matter that the Civic doesn't have an interior. It's searched the same regardless. Once they're done under the hood the only other place they can check is under the dashboard. The bumper has holes in it so nothing can be hidden there, but it doesn't hurt to take a look anyway.

With the checking done and preparations finishing, the camps start looking for people to judge. Not wanting a repeat of the last big match race's split decision, they insert a whole team of judges at the end of the track. This time nearly half a dozen people jump in the truck to head down to the end of the track. There would be no debating the outcome of this race.

And with that, the crowd gets ready. All betting is closed and the cars are started. Through their heavy idles, they pull up to the line.

Delays. The start of the race needs to be properly signaled. After a few moments they find an individual who could do it. She stands on the concrete division before the cars and all the people that have gathered. She quickly raises her hands... then, as fast as she raised them, she drops them. The cars launch forward immediately and this is what happened:

As you can see the Civic got an immediate lead on the 325i. Passing the 330ft mark the Civic held its ground.

Knowing the Civic's performance out in the open, the race at this point appeared to be a done deal, with all of the remaining 900 out of 1,320 feet being a forgone conclusion.

But then, instead of shifting to third gear, the driver of the Civic went to fifth, and hung in gear before he could return to third. In that time the 325i gained back its deficit and started putting distance on the Civic. By the end of the race, the Civic had clawed back but it wasn't enough. The straight driving of the 325i won the race.

The crowd was taken by surprise. But there was no questioning the outcome.

Machine for machine, the results of the race - as seen on video- suggest that the Civic would have won had the driver not mis-shifted. But races aren't just machine for machine, it's a total package, and on that day and at that time, the Fresh Racing had the driver/machine combo to win.

At first it was thought that we might not see anything more from these two cars- The Civic appeared to be the faster car. When asked however, Fresh Racing stated that they would in fact be down for a rematch, commenting that their victory came despite transmission issues that night. But what transmission issues might there have been? And why did they remain so cool even after having witnessed the Civic's performance first hand?

Word on the street is that the Bimmer is thoroughly modified- with rumors pointing toward a complete retune and a euro-spec race transmission among other components. To be sure, the catalog of race parts for E30 BMWs is as extensive as any. Indeed, Fresh Racing continues to hold their cards close to their chest. With the rumor mill in full swing on what their car might have, and talk continuing on what might have happened had it not been for this or that, it must be said: the E30 stepped up to a challenge that few cars have been able to meet. It's calmly and cooly transversed the gauntlet in one single leap. And walked away victorious.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Match Race: White Civic vs E30 325i

ones again big props to streetseen.vi for the coverage....I think we need to start our own pinks VI you losse the race you losse your car....! lol maybe then the civic jocky might get it right....!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 AM

I can only hope that the BMW dose give the rematch as it was very clear that a mistake was had by the Honda...but then again i can understend if they don't.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
We Are Not The Same

bad azz coverage!!!! nice work tekk
Old 06-19-2008, 06:18 PM
TCM

Send a message via MSN to TCM Send a message via Yahoo to TCM

Great coverage, STREETSEEN.VI, on the street racing. I would really like to hear that the BMW give the CIVIC a rematch, but then it is up to the owner of the BMW...but if they are up to it, they can take up my offer. Race me....Race me, lol
If it's FAST and RELIABLE...then it's definately not CHEAP!!!

Hey guys, I am now selling motorcycle parts online @ my eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com/t-cbikeshop
Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

wow good race ... An great coverage...

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
95 Mazda RX7 build in progress
88 Mazda RX7 Convertible T2 Swap "sold"
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
03 Suzuki Aerio "bracket champ"
Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 AM
TCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddix View Post
TCM we will take that challenge with ease anytime any place any distance this aint no laughing matter you so called want the bimmer it's here waiting for the crx power for power BRING IT!! we been waiting for it for a long time now. just contact who you need to contact and lets get this race going no heap of talking and blabbing if you want run set it up we check each other car and just race straight up.
Just for the record, the CRX is not an All-Motor car...it is nitrous enhanced, so if it has to race it is "bring what you brung and hope you brung enough!" This ain't no grudge, just a friendly drag race. Just be ready cause the CRX is always ready

Hey guys, I am now selling motorcycle parts online @ my eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com/t-cbikeshop
Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 AM
TCM

Talking Re: Match Race: White Civic vs E30 325i

Well, since I am not on the island as you know, I cannot give you a definite date...but I will be will be soon. Distance...hummm, the track i only a 1/4 mile, so I guess thats it. I'll contact you here on STREETSEEN.VI as soon as I am on St. Croix.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 AM
WE ALL OVER

good run my boys. i wish i could be there to see the race or even get a race.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 PM
TCM

Talking Re: Match Race: White Civic vs E30 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddix View Post
PERFECT don't take too long now check yo when yo get ya!
Not to cause any confusions, but I wanna make sure I know who I'm talking to. This is not the first time this race was set up and they were "no shows", so I'd rather be sure who you are, paddix.

With all the bullshit a side it was a great race seeing the the racing scene on STX is almost dead. And keep the good work up STREETSEEN, cause with out you I would never get to experience those races.