StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I put on for my city...

Default Match Race: Honda Civic vs Dodge Magnum SRT8

Word on the street was that this white Honda Civic was doing some serious times at the track- raw power- no nitrous, no boost. It was only a matter of time before a big challenge was sent, and that challenge came in the form of a not quite stock Dodge Magnum SRT8 stepping up to the plate. With Magnums reportedly running very deep into the 13s stock, would the little Civic be able to keep up? With the Magnum being rear drive, backed by hundreds of lb-ft of torque, would the Civic be grossly outpowered? And even if the Civic could fight it off the line, what would happen out in the open? On the second 1/8th?

With the St Croix Race Track being kindly donated to the cause, we followed the crowds down there to see exactly how it would go down...

The race was simple: the SRT8 would be on street tires and the Civic would be on drag tires. This would be a raw power race only - neither car would be permitted to use nitrous or any kind of forced induction. Before the race, the cars were checked, with the Civic being examined very extensively - under the hood, body, interior panels- for a Nitrous hookup. Satisfied nothing was present, the cars started to prepare for their runs.

The race was a big one because the little Civic was rumored to be doing big things. At the track when the Civic made its passes crowds were impressed, but performance numbers were not disclosed. It looked like the Civic had a hard launch and kept moving even out in the open, but without numbers to see, some wondered if it just a bunch of noise and lights. Supposedly, it had been beating a lot of cars that had gotten some real respect. But how true was that? And what would happen if it were pitted against a car that was known to really perform...?

As far as street cars go on street tires, the Magnum SRT8 is among the fastest on island that race. This match up would see if the Civic really was able to perform like it looked like it could.

The challenge for the Civic was multi-fold. With the Civic having less horsepower than the SRT8, it has to capitalize on its lighter weight to win the race. Usually this means that the lightweight car has to get the the finish line before the heavyweight high power car can utilize its power to run it down. So that means the Civic would have to fight off the Magnum out the hole- it would have to get off the line to the 60' mark first. That's the only way it could capitalize off it's light weight to get to the 1/8th first. Then from there, hopefully a time advantage could allow the Civic to maintain its lead through the second eighth, although everyone wondered if the SRT8 wouldn't run it down.

For the SRT8, it's biggest limitation-besides its weight- would be traction. Whereas the Civic would likely be able to hookup thanks to a tire advantage, the SRT8 would have to get traction on its own. Crucially, its rear-drive. But would the SRT8 be able to keep up on the first half of the race to achieve the win?

The cars, and the crowd, got ready...

The Civic had cooling problems, which delayed the start, but then when everything was sorted out, they both edged to the line. And here's what happened...

As you can see, the Civic got the launch out the hole and to the 60' mark. This lead was maintained through the initial few hundred feet. Out in the open, the Civic was surprisingly able to keep that lead and the SRT8 was unable to run it down....and the little civic with a big engine earned its Win.

At the end of the day, this race may have been a test for other, faster cars waiting in the wings- curious to see what might happen. Regardless, one thing is now certain- this won't be the end. The white Civic that could has had a long, long road. But now it's here, it's a genuine contender, and we probably won't be seeing the end...
Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
We Are Not The Same

Default Re: Match Race: Honda Civic vs Dodge Magnum SRT8

very good coverage tekk!!! Wish I was there
Old 03-27-2008, 05:04 PM

Way to represent cuz...! I am proud of you...!SALL CAR BIG HEART...!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
TCM

Send a message via MSN to TCM Send a message via Yahoo to TCM
Talking Re: Match Race: Honda Civic vs Dodge Magnum SRT8

t was a pleasure to see a 4 cylinder vs. 8 cylinder race...remember people it's a home grown set-up, designed, built and tuned on St. Croix!!! Big Up to Timmy, Adrian and the rest of the boyzzz.

There is an open Challenge to any All Motor (no boost, no nitrous) Honda out there and any Nitrous Enhanced (no boost) Honda...hit me up if anyone is up for it!
If it's FAST and RELIABLE...then it's definately not CHEAP!!!

Hey guys, I am now selling motorcycle parts online @ my eBay store. http://stores.ebay.com/t-cbikeshop
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to De O

Go on bad cuz
Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM
WE ALL OVER

good run my boy.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
STREETSEEN OG

Location: St. Croix U.S.V.I. on MIND in deh GUTTER street........GOING H.A.M
Send a message via MSN to mentally