StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I put on for my city...

Default TMS07: Porsche

They say of the new 911 GT2, "Respect Required." I agree, even if you're not feeling these man. They've been inching forward with essentially the same design since before cars were made. Almost.

Seriously though, the 911s have been seen as the benchmark in what every sports car should be for some time. Whether you subscribe to that philosophy is up to you, but the car's themselves cannot be slept on. They're all solid machines.

If you didn't know, here's how the 911 lineup works:

There's the $75k base (Carrera aka C2), the $85k Sport (Carrera S aka C2S), $80k Carrera 4 (which is AWD), $90k AWD-Sport (aka C4S), $130k TT (AWD+Turbo), $100k GT3 (RWD, high reving lightweight priced below the TT), $180k GT2 (RWD, Turbo, most expensive, most deadly on the road course)

In general, the GT cars are dangerous on the track. The GT3 on many tracks is faster than the Turbo, despite having something like 75 less horsepower. The GT2 clocked in a very deep 7:30s (think: 7:31) pass on the ring. The above car is the GT2.

This is the Cayman. Not a 911. It's really a hard topped Boxster. In the 911s the engine is mounted behind the rear axle, so they're rear-engined. In the Cayman, the engine is mounted between the axles, so it's mid-engined. They say the chassis in the Cayman is superior to the 911 in terms of control, due in no small part to engine placement. In the Porsche community there are also those who are busy swapping 911 (turbo) engines into the Cayman in search of the ultimate machine....

Unfortunately, the car is very expensive ($60k+) for its performance....

Carbon Ceramic brakes. Awesome. But you already knew that since you read our brake tech article, right?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Default Re: TMS07: Porsche

yeh the cayman is really nice...i see it also have 911 turbo model rims on....new..911 turbo model goes for...$150,000+

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
95 Mazda RX7 build in progress
88 Mazda RX7 Convertible T2 Swap "sold"
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
03 Suzuki Aerio "bracket champ"
Old 10-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I put on for my city...

yeah i listed the base prices, but you're right. realistically... the cars are much more expensive. porsche buyers spend more on options than i think any other kind of car buyer. then again they probably have the most factory options (except for brands like bentley)
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

I'm not really an SUV man but I would rock this one