StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
I put on for my city...

Default Summer Slam 2007: Post Show Thoughts

So you got the low down on the two days of the St Thomas car show and you've seen the pics we have here at Streetseen. Allow me to offer some of my personal thoughts on the show as a whole, as well as shows in the VI in general.

Coming into it, I tried to hold an open mind on the show. Many had said that this was the best show in the VI. Some had said they were boycotting due to the fact that the show's producers, Westline Productions, didn't seem interested in bringing a show to St Croix, despite the number of cars and level of competitiveness that St Croix brings to the St Thomas car show.

But where was the truth?

I thought I'd try to find an answer. But before I go any further on that, lets take a step back and look at the show as a whole.

First off, the show's entry fees were $15 on both days, which is actually less than the advertised prices- which is good. But at the same time it still means you're paying $30 to see the show on both days, even though the selection of cars is very similar... in other words, you will see most of the same cars you paid for on day 1, on day 2. That becomes worse if you bring a significant other because that means you're spending $60.

In terms of car-related entertainment, you really don't have many other options, so if you're into cars you don't have much of a choice on what to do, so that means a lot of people will probably show up regardless. That being the case though, that doesn't mean that a certain level of entertainment should not be expected.

In many ways the show delivered. For instance, I was impressed by the professionalism of the judges. In SQL competition, they give competitors the opportunity to present their setup to them- by walking them through it- before they judged. I thought that was brilliant because it gives you the opportunity to make them aware of something they may have otherwise been missed. It doesn't guarantee any appreciation, but at least it means that they're aware...and in a world where it can become difficult (even for a professional) to tell exactly what they're actually looking at (in terms of work involved) ... this is a great idea.

Another thing I really liked on day 1 was the arrangement for the drive through sound testing. When cars were driving through and 'dialing in' their DBs, there were computer monitors facing the crowd, showing a live indication of how many decibels the car being tested was outputting. Very cool. This was helped by the fact that the testing was being conducted in the night- making it easy to read the LCD.

The system also seemed very efficient, with judges getting around and cars driving. There was stuff going on. You never really felt like it was a sterile environment- even if there was no music playing. That was definitely positive.

Another thing I liked was the security. It was good to know they were screening for weapons and seemed to be serious, although I'm not sure how they could check all of the cars. Credit should be given where its due though- they checked both men and women- which is also good. I never understood why men are often checked and women not. You can just give them the guns to bring in (as often happens). Safety is becoming more and more important these days, and it was good to see that security was present and taken at least somewhat seriously.

Having been my first trip to the STT car show I liked how day 2 was held inside the UVI gym. It was cool and comfortable. I thought it also allowed the cars to be presented better because there was less dirt/dust/etc. I'm sure it also helped the fellas and ladies with the rides to keep them clean. Overall, I thought that to be a good idea. The only problem that I saw with it was space. It's at a premium and it looks like there's little left. It will be interesting to see how they deal with this in future shows.

That brings me to what could have been better.

The show was supposed to have started at 12 noon. No one entered until after 1:20 pm.

For about an hour and a half (after the show was supposed to have started) people waited outside in the heat while being told repeatedly that the show would be starting in 15 minutes. Not a good first impression and quite unprofessional.

But for all of the positives above and the other merits to the show, you can't escape the issue of cost.

On it's own nothing is wrong with charging $60 for a show (or two), so long as you deliver that much value. With half the cars on day 2 also having been on day 1, it felt like you weren't really seeing too much new. Especially since the arena wasn't that large to begin with. But that's once you're in the show. It becomes very expensive to take your SO, much less family, out for some fun.

So while Westline Productions did a number of things right- as they should be expected to- as a guest you're still left to wonder if you got your moneys worth. That's not just because you're seeing many of the same cars, but you're seeing them in almost the same way. Most aren't doing anything they weren't doing before. In addition, there weren't that many cars, and the variety wasn't that exotic. Also, it felt like they could have combined both days into one, but maybe they didn't because there wasn't enough space in the gym? Either way, $60 later it makes you wonder...

Despite all of that, the cars were there as promised. Having seen the community on St Croix as well as a limited sampling from the BVI, the VI as a whole has much to be proud of. It seems to me that it would be a good idea to have a single major annual show to combine the best of all islands, and hopefully at some point that will happen. As it stands though, there are hot cars on all islands, but those who choose not to travel due to the slim 'return on investment' appear to have a very legitimate point.

All that may be behind us though. Over the weekend Westline Proudctions made the announcement that they'd be holding a car show on St. Croix. They announced the date to be December 16 (Sunday) at the Horse Race Track by the airport. Knowing the car scene on St Croix and having seen what St Thomas and a sampling of what the BVI has to offer, this show may be a good one. It does appear that we need one major show in the VI to combine the best of all, and this show might be it.

Getting back to the St Thomas show, was it the end-all be all of car shows in the VI? No. But it was a fairly well done production if not expensive. I think that only good things can come from improvements to their show, and also feel that there are benefits to holding STT and STX shows prior to a larger show combining all of the VI. Hopefully, that's where we're going.

With car shows coming at such a rapid rate, you cant really complain too much... although it is my hope that we see improvements in coming events to help bring the community together. At the end of it all though, as I've said before, it is still a great time to be an enthusiast.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Summer Slam 2007: Post Show Thoughts

Excellent write up Tekk. One question- what is the intent of the second day? Is it meant for folks who could not make day 1? or it it supposed to be an encancement/extension of day 1? I also think a best of the best could yield high value for the VI Street Fans
Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I put on for my city...

sorry i missed your question - the second day is just a car show, whereas the first day is the sound competition. for most of day 1 the cars are setup on display like they would be in a car show. then the SQL (sound quality) cars are examined by the judges. the SPL (loudness) cars are driven through a booth one by one as seen in the pics from the event... with their db level displayed for everyone to see. when done they park them back up, so for the most part day1 is a show with sound testing/competition going on as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Ahh I see. Ok so it goes back to the "what are you getting for day 2" point that you made in the post. Makes sense. Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
STREETSEEN OG

Location: St. Croix U.S.V.I. on MIND in deh GUTTER street........GOING H.A.M
Send a message via MSN to mentally

erd needs to get on the ball and do a show