StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM
I put on for my city...

Default StreetSeen in Japan | 4. Tokyo Auto Salon Day One

For the first time on the trip I felt the cold. It was about 20 degrees outside, with a wind chill factor and a light rain to accompany it. We were up early, before seven, but it wasn't a problem because my internal clock by this point was pretty much confused. Ordinarily the current time would correspond to something like 6PM back home... but we'd been operating on Tokyo time for a few days, so I wasn't really sure what time it felt like. It was probably somewhere in between. So by this point the sleep wasn't as refreshing as I'd hoped. Regardless, the excitement was still thick in the air.

Today would be the first day of the Tokyo Auto Salon...

I packed all my things into my bag and got dressed. It had been many years since I was exposed to "cold" weather, so before leaving home I did my homework on how to prepare for it. In the back of my mind, I hoped there was some new technology out that had addressed the problem. Sadly, there have been no such developments. The key thing I read about was to layer...

I did the best I could. My synthetic weather proof Nike jacket was my outer layer. And I had two sweaters and a shirt under that. On paper it might read like a lot, but there were times I wished I had on more. I had planned on e-mailing NASA to get some advice (and maybe a left over space suit or two), but didn't have the time...

On the train though, it wasn't too bad. The ride wasn't too bad either. We made small talk for a bit, enjoying the scenery as it passed. And although the ride was over an hour, it didn't feel that long. And soon, we had crossed the bay...

We made our way to the venue, exiting the train station and joining the trickle of a press crowd. Then all of it came into view. We'd arrived.

The show wasn't open to the public yet. That wouldn't happen until afternoon and it was still early in the morning. So we had a few hours to get some shooting done, which was great since you don't want to fight for space to take each and every picture. But since the show would eventually be open to the public, that also meant we had no time to waste.

Minutes after arriving, we had submitted our paperwork and credentials and received our entry passes. Moments later we were inside, and I opened the doors to the show floor, where I stopped.

It was impressive. I'd seen it in pictures but in real life it's something else. It's something every enthusiast of Japanese cars must see, at least once. It was instantly obvious that it wasn't like SEMA.

At SEMA you have more cars and more diversity, but SEMA is only a show. Many of the cars at SEMA have lived their lives in climate controlled warehouses, free from the effects of dust, weather, and most importantly- driving. SEMA is very impressive, and is another must-see show for all car enthusiasts, but for anyone into driving and Japanese cars, the Tokyo Auto Salon is a must. At Tokyo, there are some show cars, but a majority of the cars aren't for show. You will find the very cars that you see track tested in Best Motoring Videos. You will see cars that have been drifted, drag raced, and circuit raced to no end. The cars aren't perfect. Some of need a little touch up paint here or there, some still have brake dust on the wheels and suspension components, and others have calipers that have been discolored from extreme temperatures... but these are real cars, made by real enthusiasts, driven by real drivers. It was a sight to see.

So I spent the first half of the first day browsing through the GT-Rs present. What follows are a series of the pictures from the first few hours...

Continued on Page 2...
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 AM
iz ah ass

Default Re: StreetSeen in Japan | 4. Tokyo Auto Salon Day One

Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 3tc power

DOGG! i know GTR's isn't the only cars there we have seen more skyline than i see hondas here in tampa...not dissing just saying. great pics BTW
Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I put on for my city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tc power View Post
DOGG! i know GTR's isn't the only cars there we have seen more skyline than i see hondas here in tampa...not dissing just saying. great pics BTW
yeah there are lots of g35s out here too, no older skylines though.

havent posted any skylines yet though there will be a few in coverage from days 2 & 3. but the good news is its mostly other cars.. and a lot of them..
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM
iz ah ass

VR4's????? *crosses fingers*
Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 3tc power

last i hurd was they dumped all the vr4's in the sea to creat new reefs so the fishes have a place to florish hey it for a good couse
Old 05-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
last i hurd was they dumped all the vr4's in the sea to creat new reefs so the fishes have a place to florish hey it for a good couse
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
All I have to say is if that just came off the top of your head and you didn't have to think about that..your just pure evil TC but makes sense none the less I guess. Yeah thats alot of GTR's Tekk hope everyone there didn'y throw there cars away to buy skylines and are still mixing it up lol
This one just looks to be begging to be a Roush Mustang..anyone catch that other than me with these lines by the way
Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Great pictures as always... Now start posting the RX7 picture.. lol..

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
95 Mazda RX7 build in progress
88 Mazda RX7 Convertible T2 Swap "sold"
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
03 Suzuki Aerio "bracket champ"
Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I put on for my city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRX7 View Post
Great pictures as always... Now start posting the RX7 picture.. lol..
coming soon