StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I put on for my city...

Default StreetSeen Sunday - Jan 4 Cruise

GT-R, SE-R, RX, SRT, WRX, SS, VR4... Each one of these names carries a storied history in the automotive world. These names carry the sorts of histories that books are written about and legends are made from. Sadly, this is usually when a non enthusiast (one who does not speak the language) opens their mouth.

What's so special? It's just a car!

It's not their fault; they simply do not speka the language. It's a language spoken by those who know each other as enthusiasts...It's in a dictionary composed mostly of acronyms. It's in the visual... It's in the SSs creating their name back in the 60s on the streets of Detroit and at the stop lights of Las Vegas Blvd... It's in the Australians eliminating a new entrant named Godzilla for winning every race it entered into... It's in the competition in the twisting mountain passes in Japan...It's in engineers believing the piston to not be the only way to create power...It's in designers extracting something special from otherwise unassuming family cars -refusing to give up on their dreams...

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

The legends are expressed in a language that only enthusiasts can understand. In every corner in the world they hide, valued at hundreds, thousands, and millions of dollars. It's a language that permeates those who are aware, those who understand. The faithful.

(high res | wallpaper)

On January 4th a group of enthusiasts assembled on St Croix and the showing was strong. This was among the largest collections of enthusiast cars to ever hit the street together. All told, well over a dozen cars were carrying modifications that far exceeded the typical work you might see, even on a Sunday drive. Forget the wheels and mufflers. We're talking about motors that are built and running software coded in house. We're talking about suspension setups being custom tuned for local conditions. We're talking about tire compounds being tested to their limits.

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

Despite the commonalities, it's a culture that often faces civil war. Perhaps it is so with any culture. America had its own, as did Japan. And Europe. Often times it's difficult to create unity without arbitrary divisions getting into the way. In this case, one often hears comments saying that cars from some part of the world aren't any good. Or, cars from some other part of the world run smaller engines which therefore aren't as good. And that's before the socio-economic divisions come into play.

On January 4th on St Croix, over a dozen cars blew through this poisonous ether that society generates and perpetuates via a lucid, vivid, surreal experience...an experience that could have been heard against the rolling hills of the east end of St Croix...

Just above 3,000rpm my glass display indicated that boost had moved through 10psi. I was being chased by an S2000, which in turn was being chased by a RX7. I was getting very close to pulling a full lateral G against the surface of the road. Imperfect as it is, the tires were holding, hard. On my 160lbs of weight, that meant I was feeling a force of over 150lbs pinning me down. I know the S must have been in this region as well. In the tight turns I was surprised, no amazed to see it keep up as well as it had. It's motor had to have been spinning through 9,000rpms. Of course it helps that it's pilot was experienced, but even still- And then there was the RX7 behind it... those things don't even have pistons... but it was right there, under the same G loads...

I pressed harder, holding redline out of the next corner, the power output was brutal and moments later the S2000 emerged, again followed by the RX7. Determined, I slammed the brakes into the corner and switched the GT-R's transmission into full R-mode...just then glimpsing the pristine water off St Croix, against a winding road and a distant sun, falling far away on the sky...

For a moment time had come to a sudden stop. I felt that I could have gotten out and observed a hummingbird's wings in mid stroke. Wheels were spinning slowly. It was a picturesque scene, all the war machines chasing each other around south shore. I wasn't alive when P51D mustangs chased Messerschmidt ME109s across the European theater but I wish I were. It must have been epic.

Waiting for the broken yellows to pass, the machines were seeking out and preying on each and every corner. As we'd get to a straight long enough, I'd catch a glimpse of the remainder of the pack, ravaging the remnants of the south shore roads, corner for corner. I think a butcher would have been proud to have seen the efficiency with which the carving was getting done.

The car gods smiled that day. For one moment, all divisions were transcended.

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

And it was evident to all who saw, even those who couldn't understand the language. Kids mouths were left gaping in mid sentence. Their parents would later teach them that such things make no sense, but they haven't been corrupted yet and it was a resounding scream of defiance...

Eventually, we returned to civilization. Descending through time and space back into Isles...Leaving the machines running so their internal lubricants could cool the turbine blades down safely.

There we met up with more before we returned to the streets, intercoolers and xenon headlights pointed westward. The setting sun had painted the entire sky GT orange. As if God had personally approved.

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

(high res | wallpaper)

This was the meeting of StreetSeeners on January 4 2008.

(high res | wallpaper)
Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Default Re: StreetSeen Sunday - Jan 4 Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekknikal View Post
On January 4th on St Croix, over a dozen cars blew through this poisonous ether that society generates and perpetuates via a lucid, vivid, surreal experience...an experience that could have been heard against the rolling hills of the east end of St Croix...

Just above 3,000rpm my glass display indicated that boost had moved through 10psi. I was being chased by an S2000, which in turn was being chased by a RX7. I was getting very close to pulling a full lateral G against the surface of the road. Imperfect as it is, the tires were holding, hard. On my 160lbs of weight, that meant I was feeling a force of over 150lbs pinning me down. I know the S must have been in this region as well. In the tight turns I was surprised, no amazed to see it keep up as well as it had. It's motor had to have been spinning through 9,000rpms. Of course it helps that it's pilot was experienced, but even still- And then there was the RX7 behind it... those things don't even have pistons... but it was right there, under the same G loads...

I pressed harder, holding redline out of the next corner, the power output was brutal and moments later the S2000 emerged, again followed by the RX7. Determined, I slammed the brakes into the corner and switched the GT-R's transmission into full R-mode...just then glimpsing the pristine water off St Croix, against a winding road and a distant sun, falling far away on the sky...

For a moment time had come to a sudden stop. I felt that I could have gotten out and observed a hummingbird's wings in mid stroke. Wheels were spinning slowly. It was a picturesque scene, all the war machines chasing each other around south shore. I wasn't alive when P51D mustangs chased Messerschmidt ME109s across the European theater but I wish I were. It must have been epic.

Waiting for the broken yellows to pass, the machines were seeking out and preying on each and every corner. As we'd get to a straight long enough, I'd catch a glimpse of the remainder of the pack, ravaging the remnants of the south shore roads, corner for corner. I think a butcher would have been proud to have seen the efficiency with which the carving was getting done.

The car gods smiled that day. For one moment, all divisions were transcended.
This was the highlight for me ... Loving it .....NUFF respect to your S2000 AMAZING PERFORMANCE..

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
95 Mazda RX7 build in progress
88 Mazda RX7 Convertible T2 Swap "sold"
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
03 Suzuki Aerio "bracket champ"
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Great write up... I felt like It was happening rite now ..

Also great photo's like always..

I would never Imagine how much fun it was ,I been knocking road course for years,But the fun I had last ride out was amazing....

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
Old 01-09-2009, 03:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to De O

Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
iz ah ass

De-o u described it perfectly
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
WE ALL OVER

yeah man that was a good ride out long time we didnt had one...respect to every1 that was there...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to De O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92vr4 View Post
De-o u described it perfectly
Old 01-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Shut-It-Down

Get the fuk outta here!!! Great story line and picture!! U hit it on the button!!

AH TIYAD AH DAT DEH BAI!!!
Organize folks are just to lazy to look for stuff!!

Building a Manx Dune Buggy 2387cc 48's soldiers!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shut-It-Down View Post
Get the fuk outta here!!! Great story line and picture!! U hit it on the button!!

Yeh BAI!!!! Thats one weeeekeeet he didn't miss,Thats ah clean 6 runs there.. ....

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
iz ah ass

Aye streetrx uz ah ass!!!

Heet eet! Heeeeeeet eeeeeeet!!!!