StreetSeen.VI Forums  

Go Back   StreetSeen.VI Forums > StreetSeen.VI > Headline News

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I put on for my city...

Default The Track is Back...

There was a lot going against the reopening of the track this year. Starting with the dispute between Renaissance and the Port Authority, Renaissance insisted on reclaiming land that was discovered to be theirs - land that the CDRA, with permission from the Port Authority, had been using. Then there was the government's slow release of funds to the CDRA - with personal funds being mixed up into it in the mean time. And the intervention of the court should be noted as well, with marshals enforcing court orders for the CDRA to vacate land that suddenly wasn't theirs. The layout- even if the land was given back to Renaissance, would have to be changed. The CDRA would have to move the track by at least sixty feet, in the process moving the staging lanes, timing tower, and more.

Eventually the government released the funds promised and while an agreement couldn't be reached with Renaissance, a new access road for the strip was paved, and the electronics were moved. Amid all of this, rumors had been circulating on a possible December reopening. Word went from GO to NOGO seemingly every week. Finally, it became official with an announcement on the radio and the races were on. After all the road blocks, legalized drag racing would resume on St Croix.

Quite a few people braved the VIPD's latest speed trap at the bottom of Hess Hill to make it to the track, and the turn out was pretty good- everyone wanted to see what the new setup was like. While I'd like to say it was a big night of racing, the truth was that there were only a couple real hours- over the entire weekend- and mainly on the second day. While Friday was free, the system's weren't setup until late in the night. A few bikes and a couple cars made some passes anyway. On Saturday, racing started late as well, and was also cut short due to weather.

Drivers reported that the track saw no real preparation so conditions weren't the best, despite the relatively cool December air. And since most of the organization was fairly rushed to get things back in order, they were only running to the 1/8th as the full 1/4mi rewiring wasn't complete.

On both nights rain interrupted the event. It is great to finally see drag racing resuming on St Croix, that's for sure. No, it's not glamorous - the staging lanes are now a staging lane and cars pretty much have to move one at a time through it. Also, runs to the 1/8th go against most people's setups... but having said all of that,racing IS back and let's hope we see real improvements in 2009.

For the full series of pictures from the weekend, click here.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Weekend Racer & Mobile DJ

Send a message via Yahoo to DomesticChiney
Default Re: The Track is Back...

NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if we are allowed to bring our own "Track Bite" to spray on our own tires before running down the track?

I found it works great right afer a burn out as you approach to stage.... A light spray on or in front of the tires as it rolls foward.

Mighty Dragon Sound
Friday Nights on 103.5FM 10pm-12pm
Playing Friday Nites at 54
Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 PM
We Are Not The Same

excellent coverage tekk!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticChiney View Post

Anyone know if we are allowed to bring our own "Track Bite" to spray on our own tires before running down the track?

I found it works great right afer a burn out as you approach to stage.... A light spray on or in front of the tires as it rolls foward.
this is what I said but most prefer it to bake into the asphalt..some say it can be worse than water on your tires once just sprayed but I've never heard nor seen this to be a problem.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Excellent coverage dread. So just to be clear. According to that writ, the CDRA is no longer responsible/considered as "in charge" of the track anymore? In turn, does that mean the Renaissance Group is now in charge of all track operations?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttyman View Post
Excellent coverage dread.
+1

Quote:
[So just to be clear. According to that writ, the CDRA is no longer responsible/considered as "in charge" of the track anymore? In turn, does that mean the Renaissance Group is now in charge of all track operations?

No Renaissance have nothing to do with the track.. the track is not on There property anymore..

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
95 Mazda RX7 build in progress
88 Mazda RX7 Convertible T2 Swap "sold"
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
03 Suzuki Aerio "bracket champ"
Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 PM

would be sweet if it was just open period then anyone could roll up at any time of the day to take a pass down the track..like a lunch break...run
Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 PM
"Rotary Fanatic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticChiney View Post

Yes you can bring your own track bite... We used to do that yrs ago..

MY CARS
94 Mazda RX7
95 Mazda RX7 build in progress
88 Mazda RX7 Convertible T2 Swap "sold"
90 Chevy Truck 1500 DD
03 Suzuki Aerio "bracket champ"
Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
I put on for my city...

Quote:
Excellent coverage dread. So just to be clear. According to that writ, the CDRA is no longer responsible/considered as "in charge" of the track anymore? In turn, does that mean the Renaissance Group is now in charge of all track operations?
actually it just says that the cdra lost against the renaissance group, so the marshals are ordered to force the cdra to get off the land.

i assume the rope and signs were posted a while ago...and because the cdra had to get off the land, they made the new road to get to the track. this means the staging lanes (right before the starting point) and previous road cannot be used. it also meant moving the starting point further down.

oddly enough, they made an access road very very close to the border. (pretty much where the blue line is above)... i hope there are no issues with that...
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM

there always is then they start looking for monuments and shit...use to do some survey work..can get pretty nasty when it comes to those lil square like blocks in the ground....